This week, we’re going to dive into a crucial topic: how to make your emails suck less. This is the poetic and straight-to-the-point style of this week’s guest, Dave Rodenbaugh! We first met Dave at the Really Good Emails Conference and knew we had to get him on the podcast, and here he is!
This week’s topic might bring back bad middle school memories, but this podcast comes with a homework assignment—a book report for marketers. We’re talking all about Dr. Robert Cialdini’s groundbreaking work Influence: The Psychology of Persuasion. If you haven’t read this book, stop listening to this episode and order it. It’s that good!
Let’s dive into an overview of the Seven Principles of Persuasion: belonging, scarcity, likability, consistency, authority, social proof, and reciprocity to break down how they work and how you can use these principles to improve your sales emails!
About today’s guest
Dave Rodenbaugh is an email marketing guru and founder of Recapture.io. Recapture helps send effectively targeted abandoned cart emails that don’t suck for brands with stores on Shopify, WooCommerce, Magento, BigCommerce, and more! He’s an expert in enterprise software scalability, microservices, and project management.
- Why Dr. Robert Cialdini’s Influence: The Psychology of Persuasion is a must-read for all marketers
- What the Seven Principles of Persuasion are, and how to apply them to email marketing
- How to maintain brand consistency across channels and messages
- How to use scarcity to your advantage to create a desire for your product
Some of the questions we ask:
- Why is belonging the most fundamental part of persuasion?
- How can you apply Cialdini’s work to eCommerce or email marketing?
Links mentioned in this episode
Meet your host
Podcast host, marketer, traveller and a life lover from Vancouver, Canada
When she’s not at her computer, conquering the world of e-commerce email-marketing, you can find her climbing one of the Pacific Northwest Ranges.
Alternatively, try her email at email@example.com, and she’ll probably shoot you back a list of her favorite cat videos.